Below is a list of places and things to see and do while visiting Friday Harbor and the San Juan Islands. We hope that you will find something that will be of interest to you and your family.
- Relax and feel the change in pace… You are now on “Island Time”…
- Stop by the Chamber of Commerce, across the street from the ferry landing parking. Also check the ferry out on your way over for information on the racks. They have maps, brochures and have a list of all the local events happening. Also a good site to check is http://sjcfair.org/ a good site to check on events happening at the fair grounds.
- If you like the outdoors Hike up Mt. Young and enjoy the beautiful view.
- Visit the Whale Museum and Adopt A Whale and then pack a picnic lunch and head to Lime Kiln Point State Park (also known as Whale Watch Park) and look for Orca and Minke whales. Lime Kiln Point State Park is a beautiful park to visit. During the summer months, several pods of Orca Whales can be seen from the shore and they are often just a few feet from shore. This is one of the best area to whale watch from land.
- Visit the Historical Museum (Founded by Ed Rouleau’s Grandmother Etta Egeland, who lived to be 105 years, 11 months and lived by herself until the end. She was 3rd generation islander. Etta’s grandmother was the second white woman on the island in the 1850’s.
- Take a whale watch cruise; you will see all kinds of wildlife, whales, eagles, seals and more.
- Do a Kayak trip.
- Walk the docks in Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor with its beautiful gardens enjoy its history and wonderful restaurants or just to look at the beautiful boats.
- Take a leisurely drive and look for wildlife. Also look for Mona, a very special island camel (see if you can find her on Roche Harbor Road. (Hint look for the San Juan Island Vineyard, a good stop for local wine tasting, she will be on the other side of the road).
- Stroll through the 19 Acre Sculpture Garden just before you get to Roche Harbor
- Rent mopeds or bicycles and cruise the island. San Juan Island became part of Washington State’s newest Scenic Byway in April of 2008.
- Visit American camp and English camp to learn more about the Pig War.
- Explore some of our beaches: South Beach, 4th of July Beach, and Jackson’s Beach are great for beach combing.
- Shop at the many different galleries and stores in Friday Harbor.
- Plan a wonderful meal out at one of the wonderful restaurants in Friday.
- The Farmer’s Market on Saturday
Lime Kiln Point State Park is a beautiful area to visit. Plan to bring a picnic lunch and sit at one of the tables or bring a blanket and have a picnic within view of the water. During the summer months, several pods of Orca Whales can be seen from the shore and are often very close. This area has been said to be the best area, on land, to watch whales.
Lime Kiln Point State Park is 36 acres of land. The park has trails if you are in the mood for a hike. From the trails you can still view the whales and other wild life.